Swedens best youth hostel in Stockholm
The best hostel in Sweden is STF Hostel Fridhemsplan in Stockholm. I was awarded Årets Kudde (Pillow of the year) for being the most appreciated hostel in the country.
Foresta becomes a Scandic Hotel
The Foresta Hotel by the waterfront on the island Lidingö next to Millesgården is turning into a Scandic Hotel. The hotel is well known and has a good reputation among conference delegates. The hotel features 95 rooms, 7 konferens rooms and a restaurant
New activity and events arena
Three floors of activities and conference venues with room for up to 1100 persons have opened at Gärdet in Stockholm. Ballbreaker Sports & Activity Centre have Spa area, Soccer and Hockey simulators, 20 bowling isles, golfsimulator, hunting simulator, billiard, 12 racing car simulators, meeting rooms, restaurant and several bars.
Ballbreaker, Sehlstedtsgatan 4, Gärdet
Ballbreaker is also situated on Kungsholmen, Warfvinges väg 19.
Nordic Light opens event venue
Light Factory is the name of Nordic Light Hotels new venue in the heart of the city. Its a ultra flexible venue with a four-metre high ceiling, a top quality sound and lighting system, its own entrance opposite the Arlanda Express train station, opportunities for exposure out onto the street, and a functional but classic design.
The concept of rigging, movable walls and flexible lighting means that Light Factory can be transformed for press viewings, product launches, wine tastings, dinners and film showings. Creating the right atmosphere for unique events and installations is part of Nordic Light Hotel's concept. With an event coordinator, design department and a unique network of DJs, installation artists and lighting designers, Light Factory has everything you need to help you create an exclusive event.
Light Factory has two rooms that can be separated or opened up with the aid of movable walls. Both rooms together can take around 100 seated guests and 200 standing. The venue can also be opened up to include the Light Bar & Lounge, and can then accommodate around 700 people. The venue was designed by Jan Söder, head designer at Nordic Hotels. Black Venetian blinds, concrete flooring, tiled walls, large black factory lamps and furniture from Quince Milan, HAV and Gärsnäs give the room a classic but somewhat more functional look, which complements the more elegant hotel lobby.
Unknown theatre museum
The Theatre Museum of Sweden is unique in many ways. The theatre history collections include more than 40,000 objects from the 16th century to the present day in form of stage sets, stage models, costumes, properties, scenery and costume sketches etcetera. The museum is open for the public. Its located in Gäddviken, Nacka.
If your interested in seeing the stage sets live why not visit The Drottningholm Palace theatre which is a part of the UNESCO World Heritage or the rococco theatre Confidencen.
New family owned hotel chain
The trend with small, personal and with an individual atmosphere is growing internationally and in Sweden. Victory, Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton hotel in Gamla stan is consolidatet to the new Collector's Hotel Group with plans to expand in Sweden and internationally. The name refers to the profile of the hotel, namely collecting antiquities which is a signum for the hotels. The Leijontornet restaurant, also in the family, is a guide michelin star restaurant.
Stockholm focus at The Fashion Fair in Paris
The number ONE fashion fair: Pret a porter in Paris will display five of the top fashion cities at the entrance hall. Stockholm, Rio de Janeiro, Los Angeles, London and London are chosen. Go! go! Stockholm.
Gamla Stan ranked high in authentic city ranking
The Old Town (Gamla Stan) in Stockholm has been named by National Geographic Traveler magazine as among the world's ten most authentic and well-managed historic tourist destinations. The survey places Gamla Stan on place 6 out of 109 cities.
"The architectural integrity of Stockholm's Old Town-Gamla Stan-has been maintained. Even the intense tourism retailing appears to have maintained cultural integrity rather than taken away from it. One of the most attractive old city areas in northern Europe." says one of the panel members. More comments here. Read The Local article
Each city recieved a score drawn from six criterias:
- environmental quality
- social and cultural integrity
- condition of historic buildings
- aesthetic appeal
- tourism management quality
- and the outlook for the future
Street market changes
The popular Street market at Hornstulls Strand 4, on Södermalm closed earlier this year. The new Hornstull Strand Etbl. will open in the former Street premisess November 26 with a slightly different focus; concerts and clubs. They will also serve brunch. The popular Christmas market will also take place.
New restaurants this autumn
The culinary scene in Stockholm is exciting. During the past years Stockholm have recieved several new interesting restaurants. This autumn there are at least 10 new favorites. Here we have listed seven of them
- Lydmar Hotel, Blasieholmshamnen by Nationalmuseum is comfy, home and away, bar and restaurant.
- Collage, Ingmar Bergmansgata 2. Midluxury restaurant, coctailbar and nightclub on Östermalm.
- 19 Glas, Stora Nygatan 19 in Gamla Stan, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fixed menu + pizza.
- Lilla Hotellbaren, Scandic Hotel Malmen, Södermalm - bar and restaurant with a SoFo-atmosphere.
- Rue du Pont Nouveau, Nybrogatan 38, Östermalm is runned by the legendary Tösse bakery and combines pastry with french inspired food menu.
- Le Bon Palais, Barnhusgatan 12, Norra Bantorget, is a restaurant and disco with room for a thousand. The music played is mainly from the 70s, 80s and 90s.
- Asia Trading Co, Tegnérgatan 37, serves asian food in a cool hightech environment.
Sweden - best place on earth
Sweden is ranked as number 10 in the latest Country Brand index. Future Brand have examined the worlds countries in thirty categories. In addition to the top list Sweden ranks as number one in category "standard of living(1) and environmentalism (1).
Sweden is also on the top list when it comes to political freedom (3), safety (4), advanced technology (4), families (6), most likely to live in (6), friendly locals (7) extend a business trip (7), ease of travel (8), conferences (10), quality products (10)
Environmentalism is described like this "With a comprehensive plan for an "Environmental Sweden", the country's policy for ecologically sustainable development endevors to solve all major environmental problems for the next generation"
Standard of living as this: "With forward-thinking privatized pensions, low inflation and one of the highest rates of GDP per hour worked, Sweden is a world leader in living standards"
SAS opens route from Malta
Scandinavian Airlines will open a new route from Malta to Stockholm-Arlanda starting April 2, 2009. The route runs twice a week, Thursday and Sunday, until november 8.
Best hotel bars
1) Scandic Hotel Malmen are opening three new bars. The first one, Lilla Hotelbaren, is the first one and will offer live music performances and pop, rock and soul music. Folkungagatan 47 by SoFo on Södermalm
2) Scandic Hotel Anglais is a popular place for trendy business people on Östermalm. The 101 bar upstairs is a new great alternative. Humlegårdsgatan 23
3) Hotel Reisen on Skeppsbron in Gamla Stan with a great view over the waterfront with music and dj:s. Skeppsbron 12.
4) Cadier bar at Grand Hotel is a sober luxurious livingroom bar for coctails and drinks. Södra Blasieholmshamnen 8.
5) Clarion Stockholm on Södermalm has two bars a typical lobby bar and the cooler Upstairs bar. Trendy design atmosphere. Ringvägen 98
6) Absolute Ice bar at Nordic Sea Hotel is a bar made of ice with cool drinks in a cool environment. Vasagatan 4.
7) Eken Bar at Hotel Hilton offers a great view over Gamla stan and the water. Gullgränd 8.
8) Lydmar Bar at Lydmar Hotel is a newly opened hotel with a homey atmosphere for the trendy person. Södra Blasieholmshamnen 2.
9) Amaranten Drinks in a relaxed atmosphere. Kungsholmsgatan 31 .
10) Aqvavit bar at Clarion Sign offers great drinks and a cool atmosphere. Norra Bantorget.
Ingmar Bergman International Theatre Festival
Some of the worlds most interesting theatre performances will guest play in Stockholm during the first Ingmar Bergman International Theatre Festival, May 27 to June 6 in 2009 in Stockholm. The Royal Dramatic Theatre are planning for a yearly returning event. Here are the main events.
- International guest plays (3 of 6 are presented)
"Quartet, by salzburger festspiele at Elverket
"Aus dem Leben der Marionetten" (Life of a marionette) by the Thalia Theater, Hamburg, stora scenen Dramaten. Lyrics by Ingmar Bergman
"Kreten en Gefluister" (whisper and shout) by Toneelgroep from Amsterdam, with lyrics by Ingmar Bergman
- Out door Movie on the roof and youth activities on Lava at the Culture House
- Ingmar Bergman movies at the Cinema
- Outdoor Fashion show with Ingmar Bergman costumes
- Installation "The man who asked hard questions" which is a tribute to Ingmar Bergman. Known and unknown sides of the director.
- Seminars, and speaches and open house at the Dramatic theatre
The entire program will be ready in january
Offecct opens store in Stockholm
The Swedish furniture design firm OFFECCT opens a flagship store and showroom in Stockholm. OFFECCT is expanding at the moment and the new store will be a new way to show the furniture collection for consumers and will be a meeting place for Swedish and international designers. Sustainable thinking, quality and design are equal components for the OFFECCT brand.
OFFECCT, Flat Iron Building, Norra Bantorget Square/Torsgatan . It opens in February in conjunction with the Stockholm International Furniture Fair
Ryanair opens direct flight from USA
Christmas spirit in Stockholm
Photo: Skating at Kungsträdgården/ Stockholm Visitors Board
Sweden and Stockholm are known for summer's midnight sun when the sun almost never goes down. But Stockholm is at least as exotic -not to mention cozier-in the winter when the sun almost never comes up. Therefore we proudly introduce the exotic "midday darkness" when we celebrate the light when the city turns warm and snuggly. Read more about Christmas markets, Christmas smorgasbord, Lucia and a list of the best traditional and creative Christmas activities in Stockholm on Stockholmtown and their press room
These pictures are taken just 20-50 meters from motorways and a five minute walk from the city. Autumnafternoons, like today, are perfect for excursions. We often talk of the Island Djurgården as the museum are number one, but there are plenty of options for that 2-3 hour nature and museum walk.
Why not try Brunnsviken in the Ecopark starting of at the Sculptorer Carl Eldhs museum (top picture) and walk along the waterfront (bottom picture) to Bergianska Garden (one of Linnaeus disciples) where you can enjoy a cup of coffee or a sandwich in the Edvard Andersson Greenary. If you have become curious about nature phenomenas you can just walk accross the "street" to Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet (nature history) where you can explore the journey of man or some of the other interesting exhibitions.